Dry Ginger powder is also known as (Sonth/Soonth/Saunth) in Hindi, ‘Sonti‘ in Telugu, (Chukku or Sukku) in Tamil, ‘Chukku‘ in Malayalam, ‘Shunti‘ in Kannada, ‘Sonth‘ in Bengali, ‘Soonth‘ in Gujarati and ‘Suntha‘ in Marathi. This comes from fresh ginger that is dried before being used. It is a fine off-white powder that has a strong aroma and pungent flavour. This is mostly easy to store and has a long shelf life of a year. Find out here what are the benefits of dry ginger powder.
Benefits Of Ginger Powder
Let us look at the top 14 best ginger powder benefits:
1. Culinary Uses:
- Dried ginger powder is used in spices and masalas for gravies, curries, marinades, stews etc.
- Mix cinnamon, fennel, cardamom and cloves to make masala tea with powdered ginger
- Marinades for Tandoori starters, vegetarian and non-vegetarian.
- Used to flavour ginger breads.
- Dried ginger root powder is also used for food preparations for expecting women and feeding mothers.
- Dried ginger powder is used for adding flavor to a variety of baked dishes like ginger cookies and ginger candies (1).
Boil two teaspoons of dry ginger powder in 4 cups of water. Reduce this till it becomes half. Strain and cool; now add few drops of lavender or rosemary oil. Mix all these ingredients well and store it in a glass bottle. Refrigerate this toner and apply with cotton on the face. This protects the skin, removes impurities, hydrates it, reduces dryness and tones it (2).
3. Stomach Irritation:
Dry ginger powder together with sugar cane juice is used to cure stomach irritation. Consume this mixture everyday early in the morning to get relief from stomach irritation (3).
One of the best benefits of ginger powder is relieving headache. The most common problem of headaches can be cured by applying the powder paste on the forehead. This therapy is used to cure headaches. You can also apply the paste on your throat to relieve throat pain (4).
5. Chest Pain:
Chest pain can be cured by using dry ginger powder. Mix dry ginger powder and sugar in tender coconut water. Drink it to cure chest pain (5).
Dry ginger powder contains anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe arthritis. Add 2-3 tablespoons of this powder in water and bring it to a boil. Drink this water to cure the swollen joints. You can also apply the paste on the swollen knee joints to get relief from pain (6).
7. Common Cold:
Ginger powder is one of the common ingredients found in your kitchen which helps treat the symptoms of common cold (7).
- Consume raw ginger or powdered ginger tea several times a day to get relief from cold.
- You can also make a paste of dry ginger powder, clove and salt and consume this twice a day to cure cold symptoms.
- Another method to cure this is to mix dry ginger powder with jaggery to cure a running nose.
Dry ginger powder contains thermogenic agents that are useful to burn fat and treat obesity. Take this powder to increase metabolism rate that will burn off stored fat in the body. This is also useful to reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the body (8).
9. Ginger Powder For Weight Loss:
One of the effective benefits of ginger powder is aiding in weight loss. Ginger powder tea is the best remedy to lose weight. Add ½ teaspoon of dry ginger powder in a cup of hot water. Dissolve this properly and drink this everyday for weight loss. This tea can also be sweetened with honey, if required (9).
[ Read: Dry Grapes Benefits ]
- Mix dry ginger powder, a pinch of asafoetida and black salt in warm water to clear flatulence (10).
- Mix dry ginger powder with half a teaspoon of carom seeds and 2-3 drops of lemon juice. Make a thick paste and dry it in the shade. Consume 1 gm of this every morning and evening with salt to clear flatulence.
11. Urinary Infections:
Dry ginger powder can be added to milk and sugar to get rid of urinary infections (11).
12. Ginger Baths:
Take 1 tablespoon of dry ginger powder and mix it with an equal amount of baking soda. Slowly and gently rub your body for cleansing it (12).
Take 2 tablespoons of dry ginger powder with warm water before the onset of migraine pain (13).
Ginger powder has anti-inflammatory (14) and anti-bacterial properties to help unclog pores and kill acne-causing bacteria.
Mix milk powder and dry ginger powder to make a smooth paste. Apply on clean face and neck and leave it for 15-20 minutes. Wash and apply facial moisturizer. Use this once a week to clear acne and breakouts. This mask will rejuvenate your skin and renew the skin cells to give your skin a youthful glow..
Hope you found the article on benefits of ginger powder informative. Also share if you know any other ginger powder uses. Do leave us a comment below.