The sulfur content of onions helps improve blood circulation, stimulate growth of hair follicles, thus promoting hair regrowth. These features make onion one of the best natural treatments for hair loss and thin hair.
The reason why sulfur is so important in the treatment of these hair issues, is because it is one of the main building blocks of hair. It is contained in most building blocks of protein – amino acids, and keratin proteins contain high amounts of sulfur-rich amino acids.
The success of onion use in the hair loss treatment has been proven by many studies. What’s more, this vegetable can help control other hair issues such as scalp infections, dandruff, and premature graying.
In 2002, the Journal of Dermatology published a small study which involved spot baldness or alopecia areata sufferers. Half of them applied onion juice to their scalp two times a day for a period of two months, and the other half used only tap water.
The results showed that the participants who used onion juice noticed an increased rate of hair regrowth, as opposed to the control group. An interesting fact is that men showed better results than women.
This natural remedy for hair loss includes another equally important ingredient which will make your hair smooth and shiny. This ingredient is the antioxidant-rich honeywhich attracts moisture.
Onion Juice and Honey Recipe for Hair Loss Treatment
Things You’ll Need:
- One peeled, chopped onion
- Your favorite essential oil
- A blender
- A knife
- A strainer
- A mixing spoon
- A bowl
- Measuring spoons
Blend the chopped onion, and then put it in a strainer. Press the blended pulp using a spoon to extract the juice. Then, add one or two teaspoons of honey to the extracted juice, and few drops of your favorite essential oil. Mix well and your hair loss home remedy is ready.
How to Use
Apply the mixture on your bald patches or throughout your scalp, and massage gently. Use a shower cap to cover your hair, and let it stay for at least half an hour, or on overnight. The following morning, just rinse your hair. Do this treatment every day for several months, or until you get the desired results.
- You can also extract the juice from grated rather than blended onion. Instead of a strainer, you can use a cheesecloth for squeezing. Another way is to use a juicer.
- Refrigerate the onion for about 15 minutes before chopping it if you like to avoid tearing while cutting it.
- Fragrant essential oils which promote hair growth are lavender, rosemary, peppermint oil, etc.
- To mask the onion odor and prevent your hair smelling like onions, use some rose water or lemon juice.